The New York City Marathon, which takes place on the first Sunday of November, is one of the world’s biggest and most popular marathons. Gaining entry to it isn¡¯t easy. Qualifying by time is one way into the race, although the time standards are very tough¡ªeven more challenging than qualifying for the Boston Marathon.
You get a guaranteed entry by meeting the qualifying time, especially at races hosted by the New York Road Runners, but this is not the only way to gain entry. The qualification time and rules may be adjusted each year. The times listed below can give you a general indication, but you should check for any changes for the current year.
NYC Marathon Qualifying Times
Runners may gain guaranteed entry to the NYC Marathon by meeting time standards in a certified half-marathon or marathon. If you are training to qualify for the 2022 NYC Marathon by time, you must have run a half or full marathon at least as fast as the following times between November 1, 2019 and March 8, 2022. The total number of time-qualifier spots is limited, and the time is the net (chip) time, not the gun time.
*Age on race day: November 6, 2022
The 11 Best Big City Marathons in the U.S.
Races for Qualifying Times
You garner a guaranteed entry if you finish specific?races hosted by the New York Road Runners Club (NYRR) in the previous year below the qualifying time. For example, a qualifying time from the previous year's TCS New York City Marathon or the ?SHAPE Women's Half-Marathon could qualify.
If you had a qualifying finishing time at a non-NYRR race, you could apply with that time, but slots are limited and are first-come, first-served. In this case, it is better to qualify for a race early in the preceding?year. Times are verified before you get a slot, so that introduces a delay of two weeks. If you miss out on those limited slots, your entry will be placed in a drawing for slots instead.
New York Road Runners Club 9+1 Program
Runners who enter the New York Road Runner's 9+1 program can earn guaranteed entry to the race by fulfilling certain requirements. To qualify, you need to be an NYRR member and complete nine NYRR-scored, qualifying races, and volunteer for one event during the prior calendar year.
NYRR is allowing runners who completed the 9+1 program in 2021 to claim their guaranteed entry into the marathon in 2022.
The 9+1 program was affected by the race's 2020 cancellation due to COVID-19, so NYRR members who completed the virtual 9+1 program in 2020 participated in the selection process in 2021 to compete in either 2021, 2022, or 2023. Runners who qualified for earned entry through the program and chose to run in 2022 will be eligible to claim their entry for this year's race.
According to NYRR, members could earn 9+1 race credits in 2022 by:
- Completing scored, qualifying races in 2021 (including virtual 9+1 qualifying races).?
- Volunteering at one NYRR race or event in 2021.
To learn more about the 9+1 program for the 2022 NYC Marathon, check the NYRR’s website for the most up-to-date information.
Other Ways to Enter the NYC Marathon
The good news is that qualifying by time isn¡¯t the only way into the New York City Marathon. The New York Road Runners, the marathon¡¯s organizer, holds its drawing every year. The application for the 2022 NYC Marathon opens in March, and you can enter the race through any of the following options, depending on your circumstances.
- Drawing: The drawing procedure is a non-guaranteed entry, but according to the NYC Marathon, this helps “preserve the geographic diversity of the race.” The competition is very tough for spots in the drawing, but there are still other ways to get into the race.
- Charity partnerships: Runners can also gain entry through one of the race¡¯s participating charities. Those spots are offered in exchange for a commitment to fundraising (amounts vary) for that particular charity. You can get a list of participating charities to see if there¡¯s one for which you’d like to raise funds.
- International travel partners: There is also an International Travel Partners program in which travelers book flights and/or hotel stays and are guaranteed entry to the race.
- 15+ Legacy program: This option is most feasible for those in the New York tri-state area, as all of the NYRR¡¯s races take place in the five boroughs of New York City. The 15+ Legacy Program guarantees entry for life for those who have completed 15 New York City Marathons.